In an effort to recap my experience, I'll start by sharing with you the sessions that I attended. Whenever possible, I have included links to the notes from the session or the speaker's website.
- How to Teach High School at Home - Dr. Jay Wile
- Homeschooling - The Solution to Our Education Problem - Dr. Jay Wile
- Truth or Tragedy - Sean McDowell
- The Well-Prepared Student (High School): How to Get Ready for College by Susan Wise Bauer
- The Well-Guided High Schooler: Preparing for Each Year of High School - Matthew Bullington
- Reading, ___________, 'Rithmetic: What Has Happened to Writing in Our Homeschools? - Sharon Fisher (Bob Jones University Press)
- High School Grades and Credits - Lee Binz
- Your Son's Battle for Purity - Hal and Melanie Young
I also purchased a number of seminars on CD that I was unable to attend at the conference due to scheduling conflicts.
- Reasonable Faith - The Scientific Case for Christianity - Dr. Jay Wile
- Educating Our Own Minds: How To Teach Ourselves As We Teach Our Kids - Susan Wise Bauer
- Raising Real Men: Surviving and Appreciating Boys - Hal and Melanie Young
- Ballistic Homeschooling: Teaching and Appreciating Boys - Hal and Melanie Young
- Preparing Sons for Life: The Mom's Part - Shirley Solis
- How to Teach Latin: A Primer on How to Teach Latin - Cheryl Lowe
- Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death: The Critical Role of Home Education for Our Country's Future - Cathy Duffy
- Shepherding a Child's Heart: Getting to the Heart of Behavior - Tedd Tripp
- How to Think and How to Get Your Kids to Do It Too - Martin Cothran
- Decoding the Classics: How to Read, Enjoy, & Teach Great Literature - Janice Campbell
- How to Homeschool the Real (Distractible, Impatient, Argumentative, Unenthusiastic, Non-Book-Loving, Inattentive, Poky, Vague) Child - Susan Wise Bauer
- Why the New Testament Can Be Trusted - Sean McDowell
From that extensive list, I'm sure you can pick out a few themes: homeschooling through high school, raising boys, and apologetics. I truly enjoyed and found quite valuable ALL of the sessions that I attended. I hope I feel the same way about all of the CDs that I purchased!
Of the seminars I attended, though, two stand out as being particularly excellent and meaningful to me. I adored Susan Wise Bauer's talk about Preparing for College. I was taking notes like crazy during her talk and I even purchased the CD so that I could listen to it again! Thankfully, I was able to find her handouts for the session online.
As well, Hal and Melanie Young's talk about purity and boys brought me to tears. I can't wait to read their book, Raising Real Men.
I have a stack of CDs to listen to and a stack of notes and handouts to read again but I am very excited about what I am learning from all of this information. In my next post, I'll share the big nuggets of wisdom that I took away from the conference.
So, for those of you who recently attended a homeschool convention, what seminar did you see that was particularly relevant to your situation? What seminars do you wish you could attend again to hear all over from the beginning?