I haven't done a movies post in quite a while but I have watched quite a few movies since my last movies post back in early June. I have really enjoyed most of what I've seen. My very favorite movie that I've seen over the last few months is Limitless. I liked Limitless so much I even bought in on DVD when it was on sale at Target!
- X-Men First Class ***** - My daughter and I both LOVED this movie. It's out on DVD now so I highly recommend renting it! Even if I hadn't really liked the movie, it would have been worth watching just for the brief scene with Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) in a bar. Great action movie!
- Super 8 ***** - My daughter and I went to see this movie when we were on a mini-vacation in Niagara Falls. We weren't sure what to expect since the previews were fairly vague but we LOVED this movie. The movie completely captured the 70s in the details. The acting on the part of all of the young actors was tremendous as well. Highly recommended!
- Justified Season 2 - Hands down, this is my favorite television show right now. I can't wait for season 3! Justified is an amazing police drama set in the backwoods of Kentucky. The acting is tremendous, particularly from Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins.
- Harry Potter and Deathly Hallows Part 2 ***** - While my daughter and I adored this movie, both of us had mixed feelings about parts of it, particularly the ending fight scenes. We definitely would have liked to have seen the fight scenes we read about in the book instead of the intense focus on a battle between Harry and Voldemort. But, overall, we liked the last installment in the Harry Potter movies very much.
- Winnie the Pooh Movie *** - As much as my daughter and I wanted to love this movie, there was little new material in the film. It was also EXTREMELY short. Of course, I would have loved the shortness of it if I had taken very little people to the movie!
- The Lincoln Lawyer *** - My husband didn't like this movie but I thought it was OK, not fabulous, but definitely worth watching.
- The Adjustment Bureau *** - I liked this movie fairly well. While I was entertained, my main thought at the end of the movie was that there was a great deal of running in the film!
- Captain America ***** - My daughter and I really like superhero movies so we were primed to love Captain America, and we did. The movie is also over-the-top patriotic and we both loved that aspect of the film.
- A Knight's Tale ***** - A Knight's Tale is one of my very favorite movies of all time. Love the plot, love the music, love the actors and I always enjoy watching it one more time.
- Unknown ***** - I never figured this movie out and was shocked at the ending...but then everything finally made sense. Highly recommended!
- Cowboys & Aliens **** - I took my daughter and her friend to see this movie and we all really liked it. It was a weird combination but I thought it really worked. Just seeing Harrison Ford as a rugged, old cowboy was definitely worth the price of movie admission.
- Friendly Persuasion ***** Friendly Persuasion is a classic that makes me cry every time I watch it. The movie is definitely family-friendly as well. Watch it with your kids and prove to them that old movies are fabulous too!
- True Blood Season 3 **** - OK, I definitely have a love-hate relationship with this show. I am uncomfortable with the amount of swearing, sex, and violence in the show but I really like the characters and have read all of the Sookie Stackhouse books.
- The Closer Season 6 - Great show - I've watched every season and have never been disappointed. Kyra Sedgwick is so perfect in her role.
- The Help ***** - My daughter cried all the way through this movie. Somehow, I managed to hold it together better than she did but I was misty-eyed through much of the film. The movie was absolutely excellent. I have the book...I have to read it.
- The Company Men *** - I liked this movie although it is a bit slow and sad. I enjoyed the actors and the exploration of a difficult topic.
- Hanna **** - My daughter and I were riveted to the television screen when we watched this movie last night. The cinematography is quite unique and mesmerizing at times. Hanna is definitely a violent, action-packed thriller. Even with a few loose ends left at the end of the movie, my daughter and I both liked it.
- Contagion ***** - Intense. Disturbing. Fabulous acting. I took my daughter and a friend to see this movie and we all thought it was incredible. We also couldn't wait to wash our hands after the movie...and use antibacterial gel on them as well. Highly, highly recommended!
I'm always looking for good movies to watch. Have you seen any great movies lately?
Photo courtesy of www.freedigitalphotos.net. The movie theater image was created by Salvatore Vuono.